Carbon Monoxide Detectors Required in Washington Homes
With the start of 2013, nearly every Washington home now needs a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide detectors alert occupants to the colorless, odorless gas that humans can’t detect.
CO poisoning killed more than a 1,000 Washington residents between 1990 and 2005.
Under the new law, all new and existing single-family homes, apartments and condos must have a working detector, with the exception of homes occupied before July of 2009. Those homes are not required to have an alarm until they are sold.
The alarms must be located outside bedrooms and there must be one on each level of a home.
Firefighters said the poisonous gas can kill a person in minutes and hope homeowners will install the lifesaving devices.
A carbon monoxide detector costs about $20.