Home > Harbor News > CLOTHES DRYER FIRE IN ABERDEEN

CLOTHES DRYER FIRE IN ABERDEEN

June 27, 2011

The Aberdeen Fire Department was dispatched to the report of clothes dryer on fire in the 900 Blk of W. Market St on Saturday.  AFD crews arrived quickly to find smoke venting from the rear of the structure.  The fire was quickly extinguished and smoke was removed from the house using positive pressure fans.  The homeowner reported that he heard the sound of fire at the same time the smoke detector activated.  The home owner reported he attempted to extinguish the fire without success prior to calling 911.

 Smoke and heat damage was isolated to the clothes dryer and laundry room area. The cause is believed to be electrical. Total damage estimated to be $1000.

According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, there are an estimated annual 15,500 fires, 10 deaths and 10 injuries due to clothes dryer fires. It is important for everyone to clean their dryer filter screen after each load of laundry.

Categories: Harbor News
%d bloggers like this: