February 28, 2012

The National Weather service has issued a “Wind Advisory” from 7am to 10p tonight.  Winds are expected at 20 to 30 mph with possible gusts to 50 mph.  Winds of this strength could impact small trees and branches causing power outages.

Grays Harbor County Emergency Management:

Grays Harbor County Emergency Management is cautioning all citizens to be alert for possible power outages due to downed trees and power lines. Never Go Near a Fallen Power Line If you encounter a fallen power line, STAY AWAY! Wet ground can conduct the electricity and it may arc to your body if you get too close. If you find a fallen power line, call 911 and STAY AWAY!


Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, invisible gas that can kill. Carbon monoxide comes from burning fuels such as gasoline, propane, oil, kerosene, natural gas, coal or wood. Carbon monoxide poisoning is preventable:

  • Only use portable generators outdoors and far from open windows and vents.
  • Never use a generator indoors, in garages or carports.
  • Never use a gas or charcoal grill, hibachi, or portable propane heater to cook indoors or heat your home.
  • If you use a portable space heater indoors, be sure to leave a window open 1-2” to provide ventilation. Never fill a Space Heater indoors!

Carbon monoxide poisoning can strike suddenly and without warning. Physical symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may include splitting headache, nausea, vomiting, lethargy and fatigue. If you or a family member believes that they could be experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning, get out of the property and call 911 immediately from a neighbor’s home.


Categories: Harbor News
%d bloggers like this: