Home > Harbor News > Aberdeen apartment fire contained within 9 minutes, appears caused by smoker

Aberdeen apartment fire contained within 9 minutes, appears caused by smoker

August 31, 2012

The Aberdeen Fire Department responded to a fire this morning in the 200 block of N E Street just before 9am. Fire Chief Dave Carlberg said that heavy fire and smoke was visible from coming from one of the units. Hoquiam and Cosmopolis Fire crews were also on scene to assist if necessary.

Responders were able to control the blaze to a single unit with only minor smoke damage to the other units in the building and the fire was controlled within 9 minutes.

The Red Cross was on scene as one resident was forced to leave her apartment due to the fire. KXRO learned that the building manager was letting that woman move into a separate unit in the building until the unit was repaired.

The cause of the fire appears to be improperly disposed of smoking material by the occupant. The damage estimates list the building at $78,000 and the contents at $29,000.

A bystander who entered the building to warn residents suffered smoke inhalation was treated at the scene. It’s believed that multiple pets were in the unit when the fire began. They are all believed to have died in the fire.

Categories: Harbor News
%d bloggers like this: