Washington State Parks Free Day Today
Today is a free day in Washington State Parks in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day. The Discover Pass is not required for vehicle access during any of these days.
When the Washington State Parks instituted their Discover Pass in 2011 to increase revenue following state budget cuts, part of the policy called for the free days throughout the year.
Following are the 2013 State Parks “free days”:
• Jan. 21 – In honor of Martin Luther King Day
• March 30 – In honor of Washington State Parks’ 100th birthday on March 19
• April 27 and 28 – National Parks Week
• June 1 – National Trails Day
• June 8 and 9 – National Get Outdoors Day and Department of Fish and Wildlife Free Fishing weekend
• Aug. 4 – Peak season free day
• Sept. 28 – National Public Lands Day
• Nov. 9 through 11 – Veteran’s Day weekend
A Discover Pass will still be required on these days to access lands managed by the Washington State Department of Natural Resources and the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife.