Be Fire Safe this holiday season
The State Fire Marshal’s Office would like to remind residents to be fire safe with their holiday decorations this season, especially Christmas trees. If your decorations include a natural tree, keep the tree well watered. Improper care and decoration of a live or an artificial tree can lead to fires. “It takes only seconds for a tree to ignite and the entire room to become engulfed in flames,” says State Fire Marshal Charles Duffy.
Follow some of the outlined precautionary tips to ensure a safe and happy holiday.
Keep at least 3 feet away from heat sources. Fireplaces and heat vents, radiators, and space heaters will dry out the tree, causing it to be more easily ignited. Inspect holiday lights each year for frayed wires, bare spots, gaps in the insulation, broken or cracked sockets, and excessive kinking or wear before putting them up. Use Only Nonflammable Decorations. All decorations should be nonflammable or flame-retardant.