Home > Harbor News > Fires in Aberdeen cause almost $100,000 in damage

Fires in Aberdeen cause almost $100,000 in damage

February 10, 2014

2 fires this weekend in Aberdeen saw no injuries to residents, but caused almost $100,000 in damage.

A fire on Market Street on Saturday caused over $20,000 in damage.

Captain JR Streifel tells KXRO that the Aberdeen Fire Department was dispatched on Saturday to the 1000 block of Market for the house fire. Crews had the fire under control within 15 minutes, but not before fire had done substantial damage and smoke filled the home.

The cause of the fire, according to Streifel, was overheated electrical wiring in the front room.

AFD says that residents should never pile clothes or other fabrics on top of extension cords and power strips. These both need air space to prevent them from overheating and causing a fire.

Aberdeen Fire Department responded to the 1000 block of Marion on Sunday. Crews were able to knock down that fire within 10 minutes of arriving.

According to Battalion Chief Bill Mayne, a grease fire in the kitchen spread onto the walls and quickly escalated.

The 2 adults and 4 children who lived in the home were able to escape without injury, although the house is not livable.

Damage is estimated at over $75,000.

Aberdeen Fire remind residents, when dealing with a grease fire, if a fire extinguisher is not available, smothering with another pan is the best option.

AFD

Categories: Harbor News
%d bloggers like this: